Saturday, August 8, 2015

How to Battle Boredom 101


I've had a week to get settled before I start with my new job, in a new country. It's going nice for me, unless you count the nights that I couldn't sleep (jetlag is a bitch) and the time that I miss my family and friends.

I've been doing some "settling in" and adjusting and I think I just need to fake it some more to make it. I don't want to go the "touristy" way as I will be in this place for quite a while, that means I will have lots of time to explore. 

After I unpacked (within two days, it's a milestone for me!) and settled in in my new place I had nothing to do! I met some new friends who happen to be my next door neighbors, and who also work for the company that I'll be working for. But they work in the day and we only get to meet after work hours. So I've been left on my own during day time. To battle boredom these are the things that I've been doing:

1. Grocery shopping. (But don't get everything, so you'll have an excuse to go back the next day.)

2. Clean your entire place even if it's already immaculately clean. (You don't have OCD, you just need something to do.)

3. Don't buy coffee filters, you'll have a reason to get your fix at a nearest coffee shop and meet a cute barista. (Unfortunately, all baristas I've met are all girls.)

4. Ponder on how to look older. (You're lucky if you look younger than your real age, but it's awkward if you're constantly getting hit on by college boys. Not cool bro err kid.)

5. Eat tapas for breakfast with sangria. (By lunchtime you'll be in bed, sleeping.)

6. Plan your wardrobe for the entire month. (One week of wardrobe won't take much of your time, if needed, plan your wardrobe for the entire year.)

7. Bug your ex-coworkers/friends on viber or messenger while they are at work. (This will lessen your homesickness, big time!)

8. Plan your next trip home, even if it's a year away. (Planning always keeps you occupied.)

9. People watch in a coffee shop. (Who knows, you'll meet your Mr/Miss Right (now). Or maybe you'll meet new people who are as bored as you are.)

10. Read, write or blog. Whatever floats your boat.

No comments: