Sunday, February 12, 2006

'Balentimes' day Blues


I'm back to work now! And i'm good as new. I'm not supposed to report to work today because the doctor as well as the ombudsman (my dad) 'summoned' me to rest another day but with me being hard-headed (..and workaholic whoah!) by nature... "I insist!" said I, "...can't afford to be absent again!" So... here i am working instead of resting. Its really nice to be back here, it feels so good working again. But the only thing i hate about working is waking up early, i hate it when i feel like curling up in bed then suddenly my clock starts snoozing. I also hate the feeling of waking up when everybody else's sleeping. But that's how the life of a 'career woman' goes.... Well, i only need to accept the fact that I need to sacrifice a little to succeed. Clichè but true.


Anyway, this morning at the Quezon Ave. MRT station a little girl selling cards approached me.

Girl: Ate bili na po kayo ng balentimes card para sa boypren nyo.
Me: Huh? 'la akong boyfriend eh.
Girl: Ate wala kayong boypren? Bakit? Maghanap na kayo kasi lapit na balentimes wala
kayong parkner.

I was about to say something but i just chose to be silent anyway she's just a kid, and besides she's a total stranger I don't need to explain anything. That's when i realized that February 14 is fast approaching unfortunately there's nothing i can do to stop that day from coming. I ain't bitter, its just that i don't like that day. I don't like it when everyone expects you to go out with somebody, expects you to receive roses, chocolates and the like from someone. And the way people stares at you when you're walking alone that day. Its not that I don't like the day itself but what i don't like is how people act that day. I know i'm cheesy, but not cheesy enough for these stuff.

I remember when i was in my 2nd year in college it was my first day at my new boarding house my boardmates and i had our 'acquaintance period' and they asked me if i have a boyfriend and my answer was 'none' cause i just broke up with my boyfriend that time. And they were like "Why now? Its almost valentine's, you shouldn't have broke up with him, you'll be alone on valentine's day." And my answer was... "it just happened.. i couldn't help it when he was turning to a bitch." And it didn't end there they told me that i won't be able to spend the night in my new boarding house if i don't have a date on valentine's day. See how people act on valentine's day? They made valentine a "very big" deal!

Valentine isn't about having a date nor giving/receiving roses and the like, for me its more on spending time with your loved ones, be it your girlfriend/boyfriend, your family or your close friends who made you and your life special. So you don't have to cram yourself in finding a date this Valentine, if you really don't get to date with the opposite sex why not pamper yourself! That would still be a great experience.

No comments: