Thursday, July 7, 2011

Felices Compleaño Mommy Lory


My mommy Lory is the one in red, with her signature glasses. These are her "paparazi shots". Hahaha

Today is a very special day, it's the birthday of my mommy Lory, my maternal grandmother. My mommy and I can't stay in a room without arguing but I love her no matter what, and I know she feels the same for me. Mommy is old-fashioned when it comes to raising kids, I happen to know this because I've lived with my grandparents from second grade till I graduated high school. There were lots of rules in the house that needed to be followed. No TV after dinner, lights off at 9 during school nights, practice playing the piano after school and weekends, no partying, no hanging out with friends after school, no slouching and the list goes on... Some of these I sort of followed but I think it is normal for a teenager to rebel. I sneaked out of the house every chance that I got, I read inside my closet with a flashlight after 9PM so that she won't notice any light from my room. I make up school projects or anything school related just so I can get out of the house at night and hang out with my friends. During those years all I ever wanted was to get out of high school and start college right away just so I could be free.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't living a Cinderella-like life before she met prince charming, in fact it's the opposite. I was showered with love and care by my mommy, my grandparents tried to give me everything that I needed and wanted. They paid for my school trips, trips with my friends to the city, and all the stuff that my mom won't buy me because it's not "necessary". I didn't realize all the things she did for me. In my teenage mind my definition of freedom is hanging out with my friends and partying with them as often as I want.

Looking back, I thank my mommy for everything, for all the things she did for me. I thank her for teaching me how to play the piano. For the summer and Christmas vacations, for all the fashion advice she gave me. Did I tell you that she was and is still a good dresser? My mommy dresses up even when she' got nowhere to go. And all the other "trade secrets" she told me. I know I won't be who I am today without her love and guidance.

I miss my mommy so much, I only see her once or twice a year but even when we rarely see each other, we still argue. I think that's just the way we are.

I love you mommy Lory! Happy 78th Birthday.


No comments: