Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rebecca Black's New 'Moment'




A friend of mine posted a link to Rebecca Black’s new song on Facebook. The video’s flooded with relentless bashing and hate comments. I’m not a fan of Rebecca Black or her music but I don’t go around telling people that. I just don’t get why people hate her so bad. I know for sure it’s not because of her song, or songs for that matter because there are lots of kids/teens in Hollywood that are as talented (or lack thereof as most people think) as her. They say she’s way too auto-tuned, but isn’t half of the artists in the world of pop music?

After watching the music video, I called my nieces (aged 7 & 8) for their opinion on Rebecca Black’s new song (yes, kids are my reliable sources, they are very honest with their opinions), they say they like it better than Friday. They liked Friday actually, they’re kids and would want any song that they’ll be able to dance to. One of my two nieces said that she liked the songs but won’t admit it to her friends because they won’t talk to her because they don’t like Rebecca Black also because their older sisters or cousins hated her. The other one said she like the songs and she’s not ashamed to admit it. In fact, she asked me to visit and film her, she wanted a music video of her own too.

Even after asking my nieces I still haven’t figured out why almost everyone on the internet hates Rebecca Black. I start to think maybe people don’t really hate her, maybe they’re like my niece they just won’t admit it. Or maybe it’s because she was just an ordinary girl who wanted a music video of her own and became an internet sensation eventually. Let’s admit it, it’s every regular teenager’s dream: to be famous for something, anything. (I’m no longer a teen but I still have that dream. ☺) It just so happen that her music video on youtube went viral and made her famous (or infamous).

I’m not an expert, no one died and made me one. But for what’s it worth I think her new song is a level-up from the last one.

PS Posting on the web that you hate her won’t make her any less famous/infamous. In fact, it’ll even make her a trending topic.

No comments: