Monday, September 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Mama!


It's the 17th of September and it's the birthday of the most important person in my life. She's like a sister, and a best friend to me, she's my most love person on the planet, she's no other than Grace Joy CaƱete Atilano, my mom and the greatest mom in the whole wide world (for me and my brother). My mom is not the typical mom, she's not perfect and she admits that she's not even close to being one. She has her own flaws, limitations and weaknesses, and you've got to believe me she has a lot of those, but the thing that makes her the best for us her children, is that she knows how to admit to her own faults and she learns from her mistakes.

My mom got married when she was barely an adult, and she had my brother at 21. It was like she and my brother were learning and growing up together; my brother was learning to walk and my mom was also learning how to walk the path of married life and motherhood. When I was on the 3rd grade my parents decided to live separate lives, we were left under the care of my mom and later on to our grandparents because my mom's got to work for a living to give us a better life and future. Though her parents can help her raise us financially she chose to leave and make a living for me and my brother. At first, I didn't quite understand why she had to leave when she already got a good paying job back in our province and her family is willing to support us, but when I think about it now maybe she did that because of her pride, or maybe she wanted to getaway from our little town to forget and to heal. But though she was far away she never fails to call and write us letters, and she provides for us too even she didn't have to because basically we got everything that we needed or even the things that we don't really need from our grandparents. And also we got to see her too during vacations, either she goes home to our province or we go somewhere else for a vacation with her and during the times when I got sick, she was there.

When I started high school my mom went back and have lived with us ever since, and because she's the youngest of three sisters she gets to live with her parents and eventually takes care of them though not literally because my grandparents are very active senior citizens (thank god). When we lived at the same roof it never occurred to me that I was living with my mom because it was like living with an older sister, not only because my grandparents treats her like an adolescent (you know how it is when you have strict and guardia civils for grandparents) but also we share clothes, she was/is the fashionista teacher and I was the dorky high schooler, she's friends with all my cliques and she helps me sneak out from our house too. As she always say she wants me to live the life that she didn't get the chance to live that much, and she doesn't want to be hard on me because she doesn't want me to rebel.

My mom is a very cool one, all my friends envied me for having her. And they even wished they had her as their own mom too. Though my mom looks tough and carefree on the outside but deep inside her I now there's a very emotional person. My mom is the kind of person that sees joys and miracles in the littlest things. And that is one thing I would love to think that I've inherited from her.

My mom now is still in the province with my grandparents and my brother and I are here in Manila but we always make it a point to see each other when we have time, either we go home or she comes here.

I made this post because I just want to say thank you to her for all the things that she did and she will do for us, my brother and I will always be grateful for having her as our mom. And I would like to say sorry for all the things that I did and I didn't do. Also, I want to say sorry because I won't be able to keep my promise, to tour Seoul with her. Maybe next year mom I'll be able to do that, but we can always do that this year if you'll bail me out for paying for the trip. Hahaha! Anyway, I know it doesn't matter to you whether we go to Seoul this year or not but promise we'll get there... someday, somehow... Love you mama and happy, happy birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I love your mom very much too! Send my regards to her. Bakit nga ba di ka naging super cool like her? Hahaha! But seriously, she doesn't look like your mom more of an older sister.

Kriann said...

so ganon, 'di pala ako super cool? pero it's ok, i know i can never be like her. she's different and so i am. :) as much as i hate to admit it, i simply agree with you, she really looks like my older sister, i always hear that comment every once in a while. specially when were together.